If there’s anyone out there that still thinks social media is the latest fad that may go poof in the middle of the night, let’s review the numbers.
Here are a few interesting facts sited in the book, SOCIALNOMICS THE BOOK, by author Erik Qualman along with a cool YouTube promotional video.
- Gen Y & Z think e-mail is passe; in 2009 Boston College stopped issuing freshmen university e-mail addresses
- Gen Y will out outnumber Baby Boomers by 2010
- 96% of Gen Y have joined a social network
- 18% of traditional TV ads generate a positive ROI; 90% of consumers who can TiVo ads do
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations; 14% trust advertisements
- 80% of companies use LinkeIn as their primary tool to find employees
- If Facebook were a country it would be the 4th largest in the world
- It took TV 13 years to reach 50 million users, the Internet 4 years; Facebook registered 100 million users in 9 months.
Change is the only constant. Happy social networking.